Mushrooms are ugly little buggers aren’t they? It took me approximately 20 years to get around the idea of putting one in my mouth. When I first started teaching my self to cook I tried countless times to perfect these slimy spongey monsters. Now at my ripe old age of 23 I’ve finally worked out what I was doing wrong. I was using creepy clone mushrooms, rushing them in and out of a scorching pan and forgetting to give them a little flavour leg up.
Mushrooms can be tricky to get right (or that what I keep telling my self) so there’s a few things I do to get around my old mistakes. Firstly I try to only buy ‘shrooms that look like they may weep if they ever caught sight of them selves. The less classically good looking guys tend to be the most interesting ones, either that or they just try harder. Secondly use the biggest pan you can get so they’ve got room to do their thing and make it screaming HOT, turning the heat down to medium as soon as the mushrooms hit the heat. Leave them alone until they’ve soaked up most of the oil and have started to squeak, then you can give them a shake and stir. Thirdly get some flavour in there! I like to add in and fry a whole sliced chilli (check it’s not a crazy hot one) for the last couple of minutes and a big ol’ crushed garlic clove for the last 30 seconds. Then I season them incredibly generously with salt and pepper and stick them on some thick buttery toast.
One thing that hasn’t changed from when I was messing up every meal I touched is that I still don’t weigh out my ingredients. Unless I’m doing something really complicated or writing a recipe for you guys I tend to measure everything by eye. That’s what I did here, sorry I wasn’t thinking so there isn’t a specific recipe card but more of a general method.
- 1 tbsp Butter
- ⅛ tbsp Olive Oil
- Large handful of Oyster Mushrooms
- 1 medium Red Chilli, thinly sliced
- 1 large Garlic Clove, crushed
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Buttered toast to serve (optional)
- Heat the up on a high heat then add the fats.
- Turn the heat down to medium and add in the mushrooms. Fry them without disturbing for 4 mins or until they start to turn brown and squeak.
- Shake the mushrooms up can continue to cook for another 5 mins, shaking occasionally.
- For the last 2 minutes of cooking add in the chilli and stir.
- For the las 30 seconds of cooking add in the garlic and stir until evenly distributed.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve.