My oven has been fixed, all hail fan assisted hot air and shouting at landlords! We went just over a month without a functioning oven (or dishwasher) so me and my hobs because petty close friends in that time. Weirdly the guy in the letting agency found it plain odd that we weren’t relying on a microwave. We don’t even own a microwave! Or a soda stream, but I do think a soda stream would be pretty dope.
As you can imagine, during that oven-less month I ended up making a lot of pasta and toast*. Since I’m a (fairly) normal person all this pasta and toast eating left me very bored and pretty rich in pairs of bread crust slices. These crispy garlic bread crumbs are my answer to both of those problem. I managed to use up all the stale crusts I’ve been freezer hoarding, turning them into a tasty pasta topping. Now that my oven is fixed I can even start making my owned breaded everything. I’m thinking home made fast food style stuff, fake fish fingers with halloumi and big ass bean burgers. The crumbs will be ready cooked so all I’ll have to do is heat and crisp the stuff up. You know like regular frozen food, but just nicer.
Anyway here are the crumbs chilling on my new window sill with their mate Basil. I’ve added chilli flakes and paprika for some added spice and depth of flavour. Feel free to adjust the levels of spice to your taste. There’s also some semolina in there sneaking in a little extra crispiness without burning the crumbs.
- 5 stale slices of bread, ripped into large pieces
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 tbsp paprika
- ½ tsp chilli flakes
- ½ tbsp dried oregano
- 4 tbps semolina/ polenta/ corn meal
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Blitz the bread in a a food processor until you achieve fine bread crumbs.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan on a medium - high heat.
- Add the garlic and paprika into the pan and fry for 1 minute.
- Add the bread crumbs and stir making sure the all of the crumbs are equally coated in oil.
- Add in the chilli flakes, oregano and semolina then mix.
- Fry for 10 minutes are until dark gold in colour and crispy.
- Remove the whole garlic cloves.
- Season heavily with salt and pepper.
- Remove from the heat and pour the crumbs into a sealable jar.
- Leave to cool then store.
*made in the toaster not on a hob, you smart arse!