Frying carbs is probably one of the best things you can do with your time. There was a time when I didn’t know you could do anything other than boil gnocchi, I was in a dark place back then. It took some chef bloke in North Wales to show me the golden brown light.
I think I’ve done a pretty good job at giving this meal a long fancy name, it almost sounds impressive. But if you’re really in the business of trying to wow someone with then feel free to present this with some extra words. The longer the name the fancier people think it is. People be dumb.
An extra couple of words and I bet you could trick people into thinking you’re a proper fancy baiseur (look it up) with this meal. You can even fool them into thinking you can do magic with healthy foods. I mean look how fresh and good for you the ingredients are, there’s no way it can be bad for you. Broccoli – healthy, onion – healthy, chilli – healthy, butter –
Butter and plenty of it makes this sauceless dish rich and moist. But if you do want to health it up a more then cut back on the fats and up the lemon and gnocchi water content. Without it’s final buttery coat this recipe is reasonably low fat so there’s no need to feel too left out if you’re counting the cals. It will be fresh and light instead of stodgy and indulgent.
To prove I’m not completely work shy I’ve written out a recipe card for once. So there you go have fun with it, I bet it would make a pretty good paper aeroplane if you printed it out.
- ½ medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 tsp olive oil
- ¼ head broccoli, cut into florets
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 red chili, deseeded and finely sliced
- 125-200g gnocchi
- 2 tsp white wine vinegar
- 1 unwaxed lemon
- large knob of butter
- salt and pepper
- Fry the onion in 1tsp of the oil on a very low heat for around 7 minutes, trying not to let it catch any colour. While the onion is frying, simmer the broccoli for about 5 minutes or until tender.
- After 3 minutes add the crushed garlic and slice chilli to the frying pan.
- Once the broccoli is cooked add it to the the frying pan along with the white wine vinegar. Don't throw away the broccoli water.
- Add the gnocchi to the broccoli water and simmer until it floats to the top (approx 4 minutes).
- Push the broccoli and onion mixture to the side of the frying pan and heat the remaining oil in the other side. Once the gnocchi is cooked at it to the the oil and fry until crispy.Once crispy add a couple of spoonfuls of the cooking water to the mixture.
- Remove from the heat, mix the gnocchi into the broccoli mixture, add a good squeeze of lemon and then grate ⅓ of the lemon zest into the mixture.
- Season with salt and pepper then melt the knob of butter over the gnochhi. Give it all a good mix together and serve.