Do you remember that eggy bread people used to make when you were a kid? Well stop remembering, they were so dull. Forget it now, and then replace that soggy sombitch with this sweet and tasty version. The eggy bread I remember was just egg and milk soaked bread lightly fried and then slapped on a plate. Well that can do one! this Vanilla French Toast is topped with strawberries and blueberries, then smothered in butter and honey.
As well as the topping being more decadent than the it used to be, nowadays I spice up the egg mixture with vanilla and cinnamon. Sugar paired with butter is one of my absolute favourite combinations, so my stance on that is go hard or go home. Drench that toast, drench it good!
When you’re done making this brunch feast I’d recommend giving it a liberal dusting of icing sugar. Thing is, I’m going to take that tip back because as you can see by the picture below I ran out. So non for me means none for anybody!
- 2 slices bread
- 1 medium egg
- 1 tbsp milk
- 1 large pinch of cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla essence
- 10g butter, and extra to serve
- 4 strawberries, sliced
- 1 handfull blueberries
- 1 tablespoon clear honey
- Beat the egg, milk, cinnamon and vanilla together in a bowl.
- Put the bread on a deep plate and pour the egg mixture over the top. Let the bear soak for around 5 mins turning over once or twice to get a even coating.
- Heat the butter until it begins to foam and then place the bread into the pan. Fry for a couple of minutes on either side until golden brown.
- Put the toast onto a clean plate and top with the fruit, extra butter and honey. Sprinkle with icing sugar and serve.